|Posted on October 6, 2017 at 8:05 AM|
Why do I have this problem?
Many women find it hard to understand why they gamble, and why they are unable to just make themselves stop when it causes so many problems. Do you tell yourself you gamble ‘for the money’? Is this really true? Perhaps, even if you win, you find yourself continuing to play.
For many women, the need to gamble may be influenced by difficult emotional experiences in the past. We provide specialist counselling for anyone experiencing difficulties resulting from a gambling problem, such as debt, relationship difficulties or stress and anxiety. Our specially trained and experienced counsellors can give you the safe, confidential space you need to work through the issues and situations connected to problem gambling in your life, and we will work with you to find the best methods of dealing with these situations going forward.
I’m finding it hard to talk
Sometimes it can feel like keeping your gambling a secret is the only option. It is very common to feel the need to hide a gambling problem, and particularly when online gambling is so accessible it can be easy to hide the habit. We know that for women considering getting help for a gambling problem, talking to someone can be very hard.
As a woman, you might imagine that treatment for a gambling problem is aimed at men and delivered by men. In fact this is not the case.
Don’t lose heart
• Be kind to yourself. This can help reduce your need to gamble.
• Gambling problems can be overwhelming, but there is hope – it is possible to break a gambling dependency.
• It can take time to change. Remember, you don’t have to do it all on your own.
• If you feel the urge to gamble, it might help you to speak to someone on the phone for immediate support we provide.
• If you gamble online, you can access blocking software to help you avoid gambling sites. Examples are www.gamblock.com or www.betfilter.com
We can help you with one call to us.